Aldie House Fire Caused by Fireplace Ashes

Aldie House Fire Caused by Fireplace Ashes

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s investigation into a Feb. 15 early morning house fire in Aldie has determined it was accidental and the result of improperly discarded fireplace ashes.

At approximately 6:30 a.m., Loudoun County 9-1-1 operators received a call from an occupant of a home in the 41000 block of Red Hill Road reporting a fire in the home. Fire and rescue units from Brambleton, Aldie, Moorfield, Ashburn, and Dulles South responded along with command officers and the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The home is located in a rural, non-hydranted area of the county so water tankers from Cascades, Middleburg, Leesburg and Hamilton also responded, Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Laura Rinehart said.

Firefighters arrived to find the two story, single family home with fire on the first floor rear deck extending to the second floor deck. Fire crews ensured that all occupants were out of the home and then worked to bring the fire under control. Fire damage was contained to the outside of the structure with moderate smoke damage to the interior of home, Rinehart said.

The Fire Marshal’s Office found that the fireplace ashes were placed in a bag immediately next to the house, causing a fire that quickly traveled up the outside. The smoke alarms were not activated as the smoke and fire had not breached the cement board siding.

Damages are estimated at $50,000 and the homeowners were not displaced. Two of the three residents suffered minor smoke inhalation and were transported to a local hospital for evaluation.  There were no injuries to first responders, Rinehart said.