Update 2:10 p.m. Jan. 9: Repairs are now estimated to be completed early Tuesday morning, and will impact the evening rush hour commute, Town of Leesburg Public Information Officer Betsy Arnett said.
Washington Gas crews began repair work on gas line at the intersection of East Market Street and Plaza Street in Leesburg on Jan. 7. Necessary repairs have proved more extensive than originally anticipated, Town of Leesburg Public Information Officer Betsy Arnett said.
Until repairs are completed, the traffic pattern changes at the intersection are:
- Traffic eastbound on Market Street has no access to northbound Plaza Street.
- Traffic westbound on Market Street is reduced to one lane and has no access to Plaza Street in either direction.
- Traffic on Plaza Street cannot travel through the intersection in either direction.
- Traffic southbound on Plaza Street is able only to turn westbound onto Market Street.
- Traffic northbound on Plaza Street is able only to turn eastbound onto Market Street.
Traffic will be impacted through the morning rush hour on Monday. Drivers are advised to use alternate routes. Repair work is expected to be completed before the evening rush hour, but further updates will be provided when available, Arnett said.
The Town is working with the County of Loudoun and Loudoun County Public Schools to determine if modifications to bus routes are necessary. Any changes to school bus routes as a result of the lane closures will be announced by Loudoun County Public Schools and any changes to Loudoun County Transit services will be announced by Loudoun County via www.loudoun.gov/localbus.