Residents encouraged to check their smoke alarms
A July 12 fire that displaced three Round Hill residents has been deemed accidental by the Loudoun Fire Marshal’s Office; flammable liquids came into contact with an open flame.
A caller reported a fire at the home on Bridge Street around 8:40 p.m. July 12 and said everyone inside had safely evacuated. When firefighters arrived, smoke could be seen at the front of the house.
Crews entered the home, found the blaze in a second-story bedroom and quickly put it out. Firefighters also ventilated the home and made sure the fire was fully extinguished. Participating stations included Round Hill, Purcellville, Hamilton, Philomont, and Mount Weather.
The fire marshal also determined there were no working smoke alarms in the home. That office recommends that homes have smoke alarms on each level and outside sleeping areas.
Through Loudoun County Fire and Rescue’s “Put a Finger on It” smoke alarm campaign residents can request free home safety inspections. Expired or non-working smoke alarms are replaced with battery-powered alarms at no charge. Additional alarms are also installed as needed. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the department hotline 703-737-8093 or visit www.loudoun.gov/smokealarms.