Reports and pictures of a rooftop fire at one of the new Ashburn based data centers under construction have been posted on social media. Update: The Loudoun County Fire Marshal determined that the fire was roofing material catching fire due to a space heater.
With the major increase in data centers which are ultimately a huge draw on power to run, cool and protect servers, there seems to be a growing trend of these centers catching fire.
A data center operated by the Maryland State Police caught fire, shutting down critical operations for law enforcement officials. A fire recently destroyed the roof of a $2 billion Apple data center in Arizona. Overseas, in Northern Ireland and Milan, fires have destroyed or caused major damage and loss of service to data centers.
Locally, a major fire broke out at an Amazon Web Services data center construction site in Ashburn, Virginia less than two years ago.
Main picture credit: Steve Bowman, Bowman’s Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electrical, Inc.1 comment