The Loudoun County Master Gardeners program has extended the deadline for applications for the 2019 Master Gardener Class to Nov. 6.
Master Gardeners are trained volunteer educators that work with Loudoun communities to encourage and promote environmentally sound horticulture practices through sustainable landscape management and training. Before serving as volunteers, Master Gardeners receive extensive training under the guidance of Virginia Tech and the Loudoun County Cooperative Extension office to provide unbiased, research-based horticultural information to the community.
The application for the 2019 Master Gardeners Class is available online at loudouncountymastergardeners.org/become-a-master-gardener. For more information, you can email LCMGTraining@gmail.com.
To qualify, prospective candidates must:
- Read the VCE Master Gardener application letter.
- Read the training requirements. It is important to know and understand what is required to complete the Master Gardener Program and receive certification.
- Complete the application package and submit it by Nov. 6. The package includes a volunteer application, interest and skills questionnaire and reference check for applicant. Participants must pass a background screening to protect the integrity of the agency, its volunteers and its clients.
When trained and qualified, Master Gardener volunteers help the community in the following ways:
- Answer horticulture and environmental questions through our Help Desk, Demonstration Garden, and Garden Clinics.
- Provide outreach at the Loudoun County Extension Office and at local community events.
- Maintain a demonstration and teaching garden at Ida Lee Park in Leesburg.
- Promote the protection of the environment, with a focus on water quality.
- Advise on appropriate and safe use of pesticides and fertilizers
- Conduct education programs for diverse groups on proper care of turf grass, woody plants, food crops, and ornamentals.
The application process closes Nov. 6. You can submit your application package by email, mail or drop it off at the Extension Office.
- Email all three completed forms as attachments to email@example.com with “2019 Application” in the subject line.
- Mail all three completed forms to the Loudoun County Extension Office, Attn: Sue Naille, 750 Miller Dr., SE, Suite F-3, or P.O. Box 7000, Leesburg, VA 20177-7000.
- Hand deliver all three completed forms to the address above.
Master Gardener classes run from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays from late January through mid-April.
For more information, email LCMGTraining@gmail.com.