Loudoun County has scheduled three more Household Hazardous Waste Events in the upcoming months.
The next event is scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on September 23 at Harmony Park and Ride in Hamilton. The address is 39464 E. Colonial Highway.
Another hazardous waste disposal day is scheduled Oct. 14 at Leesburg Park and Ride, 19730 Sycolin Road in Leesburg.
In November, there is a hazardous waste drop-off event scheduled Nov. 18 at Claude Moore Park, 46150 Loudoun Park Lane in Sterling.
All HHW events are from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Waste should only be brought to this location on the scheduled date and event time. No waste should be left at any unattended site.
Typical HHW includes: fluorescent light bulbs, dry-cell batteries (alkaline, Ni-Cad, Lithium, rechargeable, etc.), oil-based paint/stain/varnish, paint thinner, mineral spirits, metal polish, rust remover, wood strippers and preservatives, furniture polish, waxes, sealants and solvents, bleach, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fertilizer, pool chemicals, muriatic acid, ammonia, mercury thermometers and thermostats, gasoline, gas-oil mixes, expired fuel, auto cleaners and flushes, brake and transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, fire extinguishers, mothballs, flea and tick powders and sprays, and other toxic chemicals.
The limit per household is 15 gallons of liquid HHW (container size not to exceed five gallons), and 40 pounds of solid HHW. Participants must have proof of Loudoun County residency such as a vehicle decal or applicable town sticker.
What is not accepted?
- Motor oil, antifreeze, automobile batteries, lead-acid batteries (such as for computer backup systems), propane tanks, and oil-based space heaters are not accepted at HHW collection events. These materials are accepted at the Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility (the landfill), at 21101 Evergreen Mills Road, Leesburg. Motor oil, antifreeze, automobile batteries and other lead-acid batteries are accepted at the landfill recycling center free of charge. Fees apply for disposal at the landfill of propane tanks and oil-based space heaters. Visit www.loudoun.gov/landfill for more information.
- Ammunition, explosives, fireworks, and gunpowder will not be accepted at the HHW collection events. For information about disposal of those items, contact the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office at 703-737-8600.
- Electronics will not be accepted at the HHW collection events. Information on how to properly dispose of unwanted electronics is online at www.loudoun.gov/electronics.
- Medical waste, such as sharps and syringes, and unwanted medications are not accepted at HHW collection events. More information about disposing of those items is online at www.loudoun.gov/hhw.
- Latex paint and water-based paints are not considered hazardous. Loudoun County asks residents not to bring latex or water-based paint to the HHW event and instead take it to the landfill. The paint may be disposed of for a fee at the landfill Monday through Saturday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Businesses and organizations in Loudoun that generate small amounts of hazardous waste are encouraged to visit www.loudoun.gov/bhwp or call 703-771-5500 for information about the county’s Business Hazardous Waste Collection Program.