Firefighters’ Toy Donations Help Family Displaced by Christmas Morning Blaze

Firefighters’ Toy Donations Help Family Displaced by Christmas Morning Blaze

Loudoun County Fire and Rescue crew members came to the rescue – twice – when a family of eight was displaced by a fire in the early hours of Christmas morning.

According to LCFR, the fire was reported at 2:40 a.m. Dec. 25 in the 18000 block of Airmont Road in Round Hill.

The fire, which the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined was accidental and caused by an unattended candle, destroyed the home and caused about $222,000 in damage.

There were no injuries to civilians, but one firefighter was transported to a local area hospital for evaluation. The home did have smoke alarms but they were not in working condition.

Three adults, five children and a dog were displaced by the fire. The family was assisted on the scene by the American Red Cross and they are staying with family.

Firefighters from Round Hill, Purcellville and surrounding stations were able to restore some level of normalcy as they delivered donated toys to the children on Christmas morning.

Fire and rescue crews from Round Hill, Philomont, Purcellville, Hamilton and Leesburg were dispatched to the scene.

Engine 604 from Round Hill, which arrived first on scene, reported significant smoke and fire was visible from both levels of the single-family home. Additional resources were requested, with units from Middleburg, Loudoun Heights, Clarke County and Frederick County responding. Firefighters quickly deployed hose lines to attack the fire from the exterior as additional crews made their way inside to extinguish the remaining fire and search the home. Command officers on the scene confirmed the residents of the home had safely evacuated and were found safely outside.

The home was a total loss with damages estimated at just over $222,000.

Fire Marshals remind residents to stay vigilant and only use candles in a safe manner. Candles should be placed on a sturdy, nonflammable surface, away from children, pets and anything that can burn. Candles require constant supervision by an adult and must be completely extinguished before people leave the area. A safer alternative is using flameless candles that still look and smell like real candles.

LCFR also reminds residents that smoke alarms are the first defense against home fires, protecting residents 24 hours a day. If you have questions about your smoke alarms, Loudoun County Fire and Rescue’s Smoke Alarm Program offers home safety inspections and smoke alarms to Loudoun County Residents at no charge. Visit loudoun.gov/smokealarms or call 703-737-8600 for more information.

1 comment
Joseph Dill
ADMINISTRATOR
PROFILE