Residential Fire in Ashburn Blamed on Malfunctioning Laptop Battery

Residential Fire in Ashburn Blamed on Malfunctioning Laptop Battery

A faulty laptop battery is being blamed for a fire Nov. 6 that caused about $200,000 worth of damage to an Ashburn home and displaced two adults and a dog that were living there.

According to the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office, the fire was reported about 10:15 a.m. on Nov. 6 by a resident reporting smoke coming from the basement. Fire and rescue units from Moorefield, Ashburn, Dulles South, Brambleton and Leesburg responded to the home in the 43000 block of Lucketts Bridge Circle.

Firefighters found significant smoke coming from the rear basement entrance of the detached, single-family home. Additional units were dispatched from Moorefield, Sterling Park and Dulles Airport. The homeowner was outside the dwelling when crews arrived. The home was equipped with working smoke alarms that were sounding as firefighters made their way inside.

Firefighters quickly located and extinguished an active fire in the basement while other crews made sure the fire had not spread beyond the basement.

The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by a malfunctioning battery for a laptop computer. Damage was estimated at about $100,000 to the structure and an additional $100,000 to the contents.

No injuries were reported.

Joseph Dill
ADMINISTRATOR
PROFILE