Unattended Cooking Causes Middleburg House Fire

Unattended Cooking Causes Middleburg House Fire

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined a Jan. 19 house Middleburg house fire was accidental and caused by an unattended food cooking on the stove.

Fire and rescue crews from Middleburg, Aldie, Philomont, Round Hill, South Riding, Purcellville, Hamilton and Fauquier County responded to the incident after receiving multiple 9-1-1 calls for a reported house fire in the 22000 block of Foxhound Lane around 3:30 p.m, Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Laura Rinehart said in a release.

When firefighters arrived on the scene they encountered smoke coming from the front of the two-story, single family house. Firefighters located and extinguished a small fire in the kitchen area on the home.  The occupants were located safely outside upon arrival of fire and rescue crews, Rinehart said.

One first responder was transported to a local area hospital for evaluation and subsequently released shortly thereafter. There were no injuries to any civilians. Rinehart said the $5,000 in damages to the house were limited mainly to the kitchen area, with minor smoke damage on the first floor.

Cooking equipment is the leading cause of fires in the home and the third leading cause of home fire deaths in recent years, Rinehart said, causing 46 percent of home fires that resulted in 19 percent of the home fire deaths and 44 percent of injuries.